I don't regret saying 'I wish I had breast cancer'... I'd have a better chance ...

Kerry Harvey has been bombarded with hate messages since ad appeared 25-year-old has since been told she has only four to five months to live It took five A&E visits over four months for doctors to diagnose her Adamant that she had no regrets about appearing in shock campaign Pancreatic cancer has far lower survival rates than breast cancer

By Christine Challand and Jonathan Petre


PUBLISHED: 17:10 EST, 8 February 2014 | UPDATED: 17:10 EST, 8 February 2014


Even TV presenter Gloria Hunniford, whose daughter died of breast cancer, denounced the campaign, saying it had made her feel 'almost sick'.


She said: 'I know I upset a lot of people by saying what I did, but it's true. If I had breast cancer rather than pancreatic cancer, it is almost certain I wouldn't now be dying. Instead I've been told I've only got four to five months to live.


'Hopefully the campaign will lead to more money being spent on research into pancreatic cancer. It won't help me, but I hope it will mean others will have a better chance than I have.'


Kerry, one of three sufferers to appear in the campaign, said: 'I will never regret saying it publicly. I'm not saying that breast cancer is easier to deal with.


In November, doctors told her to focus on palliative care rather than further treatment. She said: 'I've received so much support from Pancreatic Cancer Action so I didn't hesitate when they asked me to join the campaign.'


Gloria Hunniford, who set up the Caron Keating Foundation in memory of her daughter who died in 2004, called the campaign 'very insensitive'. She said: 'I feel almost sick when I read the words "I wish I had breast cancer".


'I watched my daughter battle breast cancer for seven years. At no time would she have said, ''I've have preferred another form of cancer.'' She didn't want it at all. You can't play one cancer against another.'


A spokeswoman for Pancreatic Cancer Action added: 'We're all campaigning for the same cause - to improve everyone's chance of beating cancer.


'We are trying to create a discussion and a debate to make people realise that when faced with a pancreatic cancer diagnosis and a survival rate of only three per cent, it is not unreasonable to wish for a significantly better chance of staying alive.'



Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel