Together we can kick breast cancer


October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month,if you didn't realize that already from all the coverage in the media, even the pink sneakers worn by NFL players on TV.


If you ask me, this devastating disease deserves more than one month a year. According to the National Cancer Institute, "Based on current breast cancer incidence rates, experts estimate that about one out of every eight women born today will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some time during her life."


Wow. One in eight. That means if we're able to dodge it, there's a good chance our daughters won't. That's a very scary thought.


So this month, as often as I can, I'd like to highlight local efforts to eradicate this awful disease, even if those efforts are not strictly Webster-based.


To start, today I'll share with you an email I received from my friend Sandy Leary:


I am a newly-diagnosed breast cancer survivor. Had a lumpectomy in March, followed by daily radiation treatments, and will complete I.V. treatments mid-September. Just started "the pill" for 5 years and am well on my way to total recovery thanks to my awesome surgeon, and wonderful oncology staff at Lipson Cancer Center in Linden Oaks, Penfield, NY. This is




.(Photo: .)


Sandy's email included a link to a Minnesota-based business called Plush Pumpkin, whose owner is donating $3 from every pumpkin sold this month to benefit the National Breast Cancer Foundation (see an example in the image above).


Do you have a story or breast cancer awareness event you'd like to share? Email me at missyblog@gmail.com.


Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel